Pathicadu parish was established during the reign
of Edappally Kings who were famous for their religious tolerance and
solidarity. St. Mary's Church Kallooppara and Vengalassery Church
Mallappally which were established earlier were also a mark of their
generosity. Hence the history of Pathicadu Church is linked with the
history of these two Churches.
In the early days the people of this locality had to
depend on St. Mary's Orthodox Church Niranam for their prayers & Holy
Mass and other religious rites including the funeral services. It may be
recalled on this occasion that the Niranam Church was founded by
St.Thomas the apostle himself.In those days when transport
facilities were inadequate, the people of this region had to voyage
through Manimala River for their journey. (formerly the river was named
as ‘Vishakanah’ (word from Sanskrit Literature) It is believed that the
water in this river is an antidote to any poison).
Moved by the difficulties uncounted by the people,
Edappally Kings sanctioned a Church at Kallooppara. Thus the thousand
years old Church of Kallooppara was established. Later another Church at
Mallappally came into being. It is known as Vengalassery Church and its
is over five hundred years old. ( At present it is managed by both the
Orthodox and Mar Thoma Churches).
When the number of the Christians increased it was
decided to construct a new church at Pathicadu. The land required for the purpose
was donated by V.Varghese Valakuzhy. Sanction for this church was given
by Edappally Kings. This was in 1888 (Kolla Varsham 1063, Midhunam 29)
the foundation stone for the church was laid by His Grace Parumala Mar Gregoriosthe Metropolitan of
Niranam. This Church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. His Grace offered the holy mass on
the same day in a temporary shed. The Saint stayed there for two weeks
supervising the work and later celebrated the first annual feast. This
church has now completed 128 years and it stands as a beacon of light
for the devotees of this region.